Monday, February 22, 2010

Modeling Inspirations & Scale

Ahoy. While I was defending a keep in Warhammer earlier, I noted the scale of things. It's massive. Truly one of the great aspects of the game is the world it takes place in, and in regards to the design of it, they did a superb job.

That said, always be mindful of scale. I'm not really an environmental modeler, so I don't have a whole lot to say about it, but I thought those who might be interested in it could appreciate the design and scale of the Empire capital, Altdorf.

I find it very easy to accidentally make something that's supposed to be huge look very much not-huge. One of the things I can talk about with some know-how is character design in regards to scale; my Ogre for example. The smaller I make his head in relation to his body, the more huge he looks. If I want him to look like he's the size of a four story house, I can shrink his head to be pretty small. Detail is something that helps with scale as well.

You see it time and time again in concept art; a huge spaceship usually has a lot of intricate detail to denote the scale, or, there are other indicators integrated into the design (such as things you expect to be big, looking very tiny when attached to said ship).

Anyways, below lies the environmental eye-pron! (There's a pic of the model that was concepted in the speed painting video from the WAR site, and also a shot of a Dwarf Fortress among the Altdorf ones)

No comments:

Post a Comment